How Astro Launched a Unified Addressable TV Advertising Solution over Broadcast
The emergence of addressable advertising has been transformative for big brands and small businesses alike, creating the ability to tailor adverts to specific demographics to drive cut-through and ROI.
Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad (Astro) is Malaysia’s leading content and entertainment company, serving 5.7 million homes or 73% of Malaysian TV households, 6,700 enterprises, 16.8 million weekly radio listeners (FM and digital), 14.3 million digital monthly unique visitors and 3.0 million shoppers across its TV, radio, digital and commerce platforms.
Astro wanted to use addressable advertising to:
- Attract new brands with innovative advertising propositions across broadcast TV that increase their customer base and revenue
- Build a new revenue stream by boosting ad performance and conversion rates with data-driven targeting and measurement
However, launching a cost-effective and impactful addressable advertising offering across multiple devices and video delivery technologies is a complex undertaking. Success requires an established industry partner that can help pay TV operators to:
- Extend their reach and develop new advertising propositions, with more efficient use of inventory, as well as attracting new advertisers
- Use data to target valuable audience segments with relevant ads that improve engagement, recall, and response
- Deliver targeted ads to any screen, including deployed set-top boxes, with digital precision and measurement
Synamedia Iris provides a single environment for managing, delivering and measuring advertising consistently on all devices, services and screens.
Delivered as a service with cloud-native architecture, Synamedia Iris is an end-to-end solution that incorporates Ad Decisioning Server, Server-Side Ad Insertion, Broadcast Delivery, and Iris Ad Manager. Using the platform enables Astro to offer addressable advertising across its entire subscriber base, including set-top boxes with one-way connectivity.
Using Synamedia Iris, advertisers will be able to show different ads to different households while they are watching the same program, based on data including location and demographics. This, in turn, unlocks new revenue streams and enables Astro to leverage data to expand their reach and improve engagement, recall, and response to adverts.
“With a flexible and addressable solution, advertisers will have a data-driven targeting and measurement capability to boost ad performance and conversion rates without wasting impressions,” said Euan Smith, CEO of TV and Group COO, Astro.
For more information about how to unleash the potential of addressable advertising to benefit operators, viewers and advertisers, download our free white paper.