- Synamedia’s Commitment
We respect your rights to privacy and committed to complying with applicable data protection law only collecting information about you with your awareness, in line with our legal obligations. Any personal information which you provide to us and/or which we obtain will be kept secure and confidential using appropriate technical measures as well as ensuring staff are aware of how to protect your data.
- Personal information we collect
We collect different types of information from or about you.
“Personal information” means anything that identifies you personally or could be used to identify you personally.
Synamedia collects and processes the following types of personal data about you in connection with your job application.
- Contact details: such as your name, home address, email address, phone number;
- Information relating to your career: such as job history, academic background, qualifications, professional and personal competencies and skills, your job experience;
- Information about your history of remuneration & benefits and your salary expectations;
- Information relating to your employment references (you will have ensured you have obtained consent from your references prior to providing us the information);
- Identification information, as part of the pre-hiring process: such as copies of identification documents, immigration status, and where permitted, information concerning your race and ethnicity (for diversity monitoring purposes);
- Any other information you submit to us as part of the recruitment process.
Such data may be collected in different ways: it may be contained in your CV, in your application form, your identification document, or may be gathered from interviews or assessments you take during the recruitment process.
In some cases, it may also be collected from third parties, for example when seeking employment references or if we receive details of a certification or training you obtained.
We may also capture information about your right to work in the country where you are applying for the role, any criminal convictions/offences.
Pre-employment checks, for example security and financial checks, may also be carried out depending on the role.
Later in the recruitment process, we will store interview/assessment notes should you be interviewed/assessed by us.
- Where we collect personal information from?
Data you give to us – The personal information you provide us directly when you apply for a role with us such as information included in CVs, application forms, application tests or cover letters.
Data from outside organizations – We may also collect personal information about you from the following;
- Recruitment Agencies
- Pre employment check providers
- Social networks
- Former employers or referrals
- How and why we use your personal information?
Synamedia processes your personal data for the following purposes:
- As required to establish and perform the employment contract. This includes processing your application for a specific job.
- Where necessary for Synamedia or another third party’s legitimate interests, as listed below, and where these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights.
- Administrating the recruitment process
- Managing the selection process, making appropriate employment offer
- Protecting our legitimate business interests and legal rights, and where permitted, analyzing and monitoring the diversity of the applicants, in accordance with applicable laws. This includes for example, compliance with equal opportunity employment laws.
- Carrying out background checks to verify the details you have supplied during the recruitment process. We have carried out balancing tests for all the data processing we carry out based on legitimate interests, which we have described above.
- Where required by applicable laws Immigration documentation is processed to ensure the candidate is entitled to work on the territory where the job is located. To comply with specific provisions of law concerning data processing at work or for reasons of substantial public interest as determined by local law.
- Where you have given your consent: For example, where permitted or required by local law and with your consent (to the extent required), we may also carry out criminal background checks to evaluate eligibility for employment or in circumstances where the nature of the job you apply for means that additional security measures are required (e.g. because you would have access to customer computer systems and other have access to customer confidential information or deal with company money).
- We also seek your consent in order to keep you in mind for future job opportunities. Where we ask for your consent, you are free to withhold or revoke it. However, in some cases, this may be a condition for further consideration of your application. We will let you know separately if these additional checks are applicable to you and provide you with further information on the process.
- Who we share your personal information with
We will only share your personal information with third parties for the purposes of processing your application. Third parties may include:
- Other entities within the Synamedia group.
- Our talent management software application
- Software which runs our careers site
- Our online assessment platform
- Preferred external recruitment agency
- Former employers, for the purposes of obtaining references from you.
- Government agencies, background checks and other third parties that may be required for compliance with applicable laws.
All our third-party service providers and other entities in the group are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with applicable law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
It may be necessary as part of the application process for your personal data to be exported for processing purposes. We confirm that Synamedia has appropriate safeguards in place to protect your personal data, including standard contractual clauses. Personal data will primarily be processed by employees of the HR and the management line associated with the opportunity.
- How we protect and secure your information
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and where they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
- How long we keep your information
We process your personal information for no longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
The storage periods relevant to your personal information are as follows:
Records are held on the database for 12 months from conclusion of the application process.
We retain your personal information for that period so that we can show, in the event of a legal claim, that we have not discriminated against candidates on prohibited grounds and that we have conducted the recruitment exercise in a fair and transparent way. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal information.
If your application with us is successful, the personal information gathered during the recruitment process will be transferred to your HR file and retained during your working relationship with us.
- Your data protection rights
You have several rights in relation to the personal information we collect from or about you, including the right:
Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “Data Subject Access Request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
Request that we erase personal information you have given to us (although please note that in some cases we will be permitted to retain your personal information under applicable law – we will notify you if that is the case).
Request that our use of your personal information be restricted (although please note that in some cases we will be permitted to retain your personal information under applicable law –we will notify you if that is the case).
Request a copy of the personal information you have given to us, which we will send in a commonly used, and machine-readable format e.g. CSV file.
To object to your personal information being processed on the basis of legitimate interests (see section entitled ‘How and why we use your personal information’) where you consider that such interests are overridden by your own particular interests.
Not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing (including profiling) which produces a legal effect concerning you or significantly affects you.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
If you request access or deletion of your personal information, we may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Our contact details
By email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or write to us at: One London Road, TW18 4EX